Sunday, June 7, 2009

June 7, 2009 - St Thomas - Independent Boat Yard, Dry Dock

Hopefully we’ll go into the water tomorrow (Monday). Painting the hull bottom was an excruciating job. The paint is nasty and very expensive. You don’t dare make a mistake or it’s costly. My total for bottom paint comes to $950. That does not include the other equipment and materials, or the sanding. Two years ago it was well over $3000 so it paid to do it ourselves. I think??? I can’t imagine doing it again though. We are both sore and tired of it. Colleen had quite a reaction to the solvent she used for cleanup.

I hope the stuffing box project goes smoothly tomorrow. There’s a few other incidentals before we plop into the water and sail off somewhere for a few days of rest. We plan to be in our permanent slip next Saturday, June 13th. We’ll begin stripping the deck and securing things next Sunday. The dinghy will be tied down on the bow. I’m leaving the boat in the good hands of Denis James while I’m gone. He’s not cheap either. Who is? But at least I’ll know the boat will be watched and taken care of if a major hurricane comes this way.
Can’t wait to head home to good old Twin Lakes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment