Wednesday, April 29, 2009

April 27, 2009 - 88 Miles - Marsh Harbor, Abaco Islands

Very long tiring day after no sleep through the night. The winds have been relentless at 30 to 35 mph with gusts even higher. We sailed fully reefed most of the time. The seas were big and Otto just can't be trusted to steer for fear of damage. No moon whatsoever, which makes it compass only. So I steered through the night and day until we arrrived in Marsh Harbor around 4PM. We would have been sooner but I picked a bad entry passage off the ocean for the condintions we had. With the high swells and wind, my route would have been very dangerous through Bahamas barrier reef.

Our final entrance into Marsh Harbor was hampered by confusing guidebook instructions. I only grounded once though. It didn't help to be dead tired. I'm getting used to it. I have a nak for getting us off sandbars.

We anchored for the night and enjoyed a couple well deserved drinks at a marina bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment