Monday, May 4, 2009

May 3, 2009 - 43.5 Miles - Rum Cay, Bahamas

We decideed that San Salvador had nothing for us. So off we went to Rum Cay. It was an easy straight shot. The approach to the Marina area was like no other. There is a massive reef to get around and the inside area is just as trechorous. Our guide book instructions were difficult to get a handle on but we finally did. The final legs had to be talked through with the marina attendant to avoid rocks.

This Bahamas sailing is for the birds. It's very nerve racking. The planning and ultimate follow through of navigating these shallows is extremely time consuming. You can't just stop and ask directions. Once your committed, you almost have to follow through. I plot point after point after point on my GPS setting up approach strategies.

We had a nice evening having dinner at the marina with some local fishermen. There didn't seem to be any transients other than us. This is a very pretty marina. The beaches and surrounding waters are picture perfect. This would be a great little get away if someone wanted to get lost.

I realized today that my VHF radio antenna at the top of the mast is missing. So my only radio is now the new handheld I bought before I left. We also lost a winch handle overboard yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment