Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 30, 2009 - St John

We are currently in Lienster Bay (St John) enjoying the sunrise. Last night was movie night on YOLO. We watched, “The Alphabet Killer”. Both of us are ready to get the job here done and get back to Iowa. I finished waxing the hull yesterday and Colleen got her first coat of varnish on the deck rails. I purchased a cordless buffer from Sears before leaving Iowa. Wow, what a great tool. The rechargeable lithium battery works continuous for a good 1-1/2 hours at a time. By then I’m shot anyway and look forward to the 45-minute charge. Colleen has also been micro cleaning down below. No matter how watertight you think the boat is, salt water will find its way inside when you sail it like a submarine.

We have a busy week coming up on Monday. I’m scheduled to be outhauled at the “Independent Boat Yard” in the morning. The clock will start ticking with a daily charge on dry dock, and the rental of a their power sander. I’ve asked for a shop opinion on a couple of hull issues that might require a professional repair. Once the hull is cleaned, repaired, sanded and primed, we’ll do the bottom paint at $300 per gallon. I guess mine will take two. I have no idea how long it will take to turn the boat around and get it back into the water. I’ll probably have an idea by Monday night.

No comments:

Post a Comment