Friday, May 8, 2009

May 7, 2009 - 89 Miles - Provo, Turks and Caicos

The winds picked up for us but not really in the right direction. I knew this would happen but we still made a lot of headway and the timing would bring us into Provo in the morning light.

The approach into Provo involved another cut through the reef and a lot of shallow water. I had it well plotted on my GPS and once inside, it was well marked. We could not find an area to anchor so we went all the way to the Marina. Docking was tough in the cross wind with only one dock hand. We did it though.

The Customs agent met me at the boat. He was a nice guy and there were no problems. I did have to request access to the island since we had no cash to pay the fee. He actually gave me a ride to the bank, and back. Must not be too busy.

Everything is a long walk from here. Colleen and I walked to the grocery, a good mile and a half. We managed to use the bus system for the return. At least we tried. The customs agent warned me that individuals will pick you up that aren't authorized for service. We can used them but the usual $1 price may not apply. It didn't. We gave him $3, he wasn't happy. Next time, we'll find the real bus.

I was pretty tired after two nights of very random sleep. When we sail at night, I set my watch for 15-minute alarms so I can keep watch for vessels. It's hard to get much sleep that way. When I do, weird dreams come into play. They can't be in real time because there's not enough time to have one. My favorite is when I had YOLO sailing down city streets at night. All was well until we came to a tunnel. My dad was singing Micheal Jackson tunes when I told him to brace himself for the crash.

We went to bed early. We'll check more things out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment